If you have bought NVivo or were assigned a multiple perpetual license, the purchase-confirmation email or notification email contain download links for the app.
You can buy up to 5 NVivo licenses from the myNVivo portal (for more, contact sales). Windows licenses can be used for both Windows and Mac—Mac licenses for Mac only. Each end user can run NVivo on two computers.
After installing, you must activate NVivo, to register the installation against your license.
To install NVivo your computer must meet the minimum installation requirements:
Minimum system requirements
- 2.0 GHz dual-core processor (64-bit)
- 4 GB RAM
- 1680 x 1050 screen resolution
- Microsoft Windows 8.1
- Approximately 5 GB of available hard-disk space—or more depending on data storage needs
Recommended system requirements
- 3.0 GHz quad-core processor or faster
- 8 GB RAM or more
- 1920 x 1080 screen resolution or higher
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 or later
- Approximately 8 GB of available hard-disk space—or more depending on data storage needs
- Internet connection
- Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome 44 or later
When you buy or trial NVivo you will receive an email with download links for the app.
To install NVivo:
- Locate and double-click the NVivo file that you downloaded—the installation process starts automatically.
- Follow the prompts to:
- Select a language for the NVivo user interface (if prompted).
- Install any prerequisite components. You may be asked to restart your computer—on restart the installation will continue automatically.
- Accept the license agreement.
- Confirm the location of NVivo program files and choose to include an NVivo icon on your desktop.
- Choose the supplementary add-ons that you want to install.
- Click Install and the installation confirmation is displayed.
- Click Finish.
After installation you will need to activate your license.
Before uninstalling NVivo, deactivate your license.
You can uninstall NVivo through the Control Panel using Uninstall a program.
NVivo relies on a number of other components to run and when NVivo is uninstalled these components remain on your computer. These components can be removed individually from the Control Panel using Uninstall a program. You should only uninstall them if you are certain that they are not used by other programs.
The components to be removed, in order, are:
- Microsoft SQL Server Express LocalDB 2017
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Update 3 Redistributable Package
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8