NVivo - Integration
NVivo - Integration allows you to send files directly from Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook to NVivo (NVivo Mac accepts only Word and Excel files).
Currently, free 12-month subscriptions to NVivo - Integration are included with all NVivo purchases and upgrades.
To use the service, install add-ins in Word, Excel and Outlook. Log into your myNVivo account from the add-ins to send the currently open document, spreadsheet or email directly to NVivo. In NVivo, add the files to projects.
You can attach metadata to files to help identify them (see Sending a file below).
You must have internet connection to use NVivo - Integration.
Installing the Word and Excel add-ins
- Open Word or Excel in the desktop or web versions.
- On the Insert tab, click Get Add-ins (desktop Word and Excel), Add-ins (Word web) or Office Add-ins (Excel web).
- In the Store, search for NVivo - Integration for Word & Excel.
- Click Add.
The add-in is installed, with an icon on the Home tab.
Installing the Outlook add-in
NOTE You can install the Outlook add-in to Outlook on a Mac computer, to send email files, but NVivo Mac will not accept the files—they can only be added to NVivo projects in NVivo Windows.
- In the Outlook desktop version, on the Home tab, click Get Add-ins.
In the Outlook web version, open an email and in the top right of the email, click the More actions icon (three dots):
Select Get Add-ins from the bottom of the list.
- In the Add-ins for Outlook screen, select All on the left and search for NVivo - Integration for Outlook.
- Click Add. The add-in is installed:
- In the desktop version the add-in icon is placed on the Home tab.
- In the web version, the add-in is installed as an item in the More actions menu.
The procedure for sending a file to NVivo is the same for Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Open the document, spreadsheet or email you want to send in the application. The file must be saved.
- On the Home tab, click Send to NVivo to open the NVivo - Integration panel.
For Outlook on the web, open the More actions menu and select NVivo Add-in.
- The first time you use the panel, log into your myNVivo account.
If you have more than one account with NVivo - Integration subscriptions, click the icon in the top right of the panel to switch accounts.
- Once you are logged in, you can click Send File to immediately send the file to NVivo.
Alternatively, add metadata to the file to help you identify it in NVivo. (The metadata does not stay with the file after it is added to a project—it is to help you identify files before adding to projects).
There are three metadata fields:
- Summary: for a short description of the file (maximum 75 characters).
- Notes: for a longer description (maximum 2000 characters).
- Tags: add up to five tag words or phrases.
- A message informs you when the file has been sent to NVivo.
If a file is sent more than once, the new version overwrites the previous version.
Files are stored indefinitely, or until you delete them, for you to add to projects in NVivo.
Receiving a file
Receiving Office files in NVivo consists of identifying the files that have been sent and adding them to projects.
- Open NVivo. Log in using the same myNVivo account you used to send files.
- Open the project you want to add Office files to.
- If you want to add files to a folder that you have created (under the Files system folder), open the folder in the List View. Otherwise, files are added to the Files system folder.
- On the Modules tab, click NVivo - Integration.
The NVivo - Integration dialog box opens, showing all files you have sent from Word, Excel and Outlook.
You can see any summaries and tags you added, as well as file names and the dates files were sent. Files with notes show an icon—hover over an icon to see the note.
- Optionally order or filter the files:
- Click the File name or Summary column headers to order alphanumerically on these values.
- Click the Date sent column header to order by date sent.
- Filter by tag: click the Tags column header to open a list of all tags used. Check the tags you want to view then click outside the list to close it. Only files with the selected tags are now in view. (When you reopen the NVivo - Integration dialog box the filter is cleared and all files are listed again).
- Select the files you want to add to the project and click Add to Project.
- Selected files are added to the folder that is open in the List View or the system Files folder.
- In the dialog box, the added files show Y in the Added? column, to indicate they have been added to the current project. This changes to N if the dialog box is opened in another project.
Note that Excel files must be added individually.
In NVivo Mac you can view Outlook files but cannot add them to projects.
Files that have been sent to NVivo remain in the list after they have been added to projects, and can be added to other projects if required.
To remove files from the list, select them and click Delete. Files cannot be recovered once they have been deleted.
Compatible Word, Excel and Outlook versions
- Word 2013 Service Pack 1 and above
- Word 2016 and above
- Word 2016 for Mac
- Word Online
- Excel 2016 and above
- Excel 2016 for Mac
- Excel Online
Outlook files are accepted by NVivo Windows but not NVivo Mac.
- Outlook 2013 Service Pack 1 and above
- Outlook 2016 for Mac
- Outlook Online