Create codes manually
Before you start coding you can set up a code structure in List View—this is useful when you already know what themes you want to explore.
You can also create codes 'on the run' as you work through your files in Detail View.
NVivo also provides queries and autocoding techniques that help you to create codes based on the content in your files. Create codes automatically
Create a code in the List View (without coding)
- In Navigation View, click Coding and then click Codes.
- (Optional) In List View, select the parent code if you are adding the new code to a hierarchy.
- On the Create tab, click Code.
- In the Name box, enter a name for the new code.
- (Optional) In the Description box, enter a description of the code. This can help ensure consistent coding.
- (Optional) In the Nickname box, enter a shortened name (useful for frequently used codes to facilitate 'quick coding').
- (Optional) Select the Aggregate coding from children check box if this is a parent code and you want it to include all the references contained in any child codes. Aggregate codes
Create a code while coding in Detail View
- In Detail View, select the content you want to code.
- On the menu bar, in the Coding group, click Code.
- Select an existing code or click New Code to create and code to a new code.
Create a code by 'quick coding'
You can create a new code by selecting the content you want to code and entering a new code name in the Quick Coding bar at the bottom of Detail View. Make sure you set the folder location to Codes.
Create an 'In Vivo' code from selected text
When you create codes 'In Vivo', the text you select to code becomes the name of the code.
- In the Detail View, select the text you want to code—this will be the code name.
On the ribbon tab,click Code In Vivo.
The new code is added to the top level of the Codes folder.
NOTE You can edit the code name in the Code Properties—select the code in the List View then on the Home tab, click Item, then Code Properties .