NVivo includes features that make the software accessible to a wider range of users, including those who have limited dexterity, low vision, or other disabilities.
Use the keyboard to access the menu
- Press and release the ALT key. KeyTips are displayed over each menu tab and under Quick Access Toolbar commands.
- Press the letter shown in the KeyTip over the tab you want to use. KeyTips are displayed over each menu tab feature.
- Press the letter (or combination of letters) shown in the KeyTip over the feature that you want to use.
Depending on which letter you pressed, you may be shown additional KeyTips.
Continue pressing letters until you press the letter of the specific command or option that you want to use. In some cases, you have to first press the letter of the group that contains the command.
- To cancel the action that you are taking and hide the KeyTips, press and release the ALT key.
- Once you are familiar with the KeyTips that identify each tab, you can press ALT+ KeyTip to jump directly to the tab. For example, to go to the View tab, press ALT+W.
- You can also use the arrow keys to move around the menu.
- Some tabs are available only when needed. For example, the Media tab is only available when you have an audio or video file open in Detail View.
Use keyboard shortcuts to move around or access commands
NVivo provides keyboard shortcuts to move around the application or access frequently used commands. Keyboard shortcuts
Use a screen reader with NVivo
Screen readers can be used with NVivo to provide spoken descriptions of items on your screen.
Narrator is the built-in screen reader included with Microsoft Windows. You can toggle Narrator on and off using the keyboard shortcut Windows key+ Ctrl + Enter on Windows 10 or Windows key+ Enter on older versions of Windows. For information on using Narrator, refer to the Narrator help on the Microsoft website.
You can also use a third-party screen reader such as JAWS with NVivo. Refer to your screen reader software documentation for installation and setup instructions.
Set zoom options
You can zoom in to get a close-up view—for example, when you are viewing your files, maps and visualizations—press Ctrl+ or Ctrl- to zoom in or out.
Use Windows accessibility features with NVivo
While working in NVivo, you can use the Microsoft Windows accessibility features such as 'High Contrast' or the 'Magnifier'. Refer to Microsoft Windows Help for more information.