Open a project created in an earlier version
You can open a project created in an earlier version of
- Click the File tab, click Open, and then click Browse.
- Select NVivo Projects from the list.
- Locate and select the project you want to open.
- Click Open. The Convert Project dialog box opens.
- Click the Browse button, and then choose where you want to save the converted project.
- Do one of the following:
- To save as a standalone project, select NVivo Projects (*.nvp ) from the Save as type list, and then enter a name for the converted project in the File name box.
- To save as a server project, select NVivo Server Projects from the Save as type list, then select the server from the Connection name box, and then enter a name for the converted project in the Project name box.
- Click Save.
- Do one of the following:
- Click Convert.
- The Connection name box is empty if you have not set up any server connections—click the Add button to create a new server connection using the Connection Properties dialog box.
- If you receive a message indicating that you do not have permission to create a project on the server, verify with your server administrator that you are in a server user group that has permission to create new projects.
- If the project is password protected, you will be prompted to enter password.
- Any document files that were created by importing PDF files (in NVivo version 9.1 or earlier) are retained as document files—if you want to work with this content in the PDF file type, you must re-import the PDF files into your project.
- Project models were replaced by maps in NVivo 11. Models created in NVivo 10 or earlier are not supported in NVivo 12 and will not be included in the converted project. We recommend you export your models as images and then import them into your NVivo 12 project.
When you convert an NVivo 10 or NVivo 9 project
- Classified nodes are converted to case nodes, and stored in the Cases folder.
- PDFs may have more coding references, annotations, or See Also links depending on how you selected the content initially. The same content may be divided or combined into references differently.
When you convert an NVivo 8 or 7 project
- NVivo 7 teams (and team member information) are not converted.
- Free nodes are converted to nodes, and placed in a user-defined folder named 'Free Nodes'.
- Tree nodes are converted to nodes, and placed in a user-defined folder named 'Tree Nodes'.
- Cases are placed in a user-defined folder named 'Cases' within the Cases folder.
- A case classification named 'Case' is created and existing case attributes are converted to attributes in this classification.
- If the project text content language is 'Dutch', the text content language is set to 'Other', and the Dutch stop words are recorded in the stop word list for the text content language 'Other'.