If you change your mind about something you have coded, you can remove the coding.
Remove coding at the currently selected node
When you work with a node it becomes the 'currently selected node' and is displayed on the Quick Coding bar at the bottom of Detail View.
If you are coding a file or its content and would like to remove coding at the currently selected node:
- Select the content or file you want to uncode.
- In the Quick Coding bar, click the Uncode at current nodes button on the right.
NOTE To indicate that uncoding is successful, a confirmation message is briefly displayed in the NVivo status bar.
Remove coding at selected nodes
To remove coding for a file:
- Select the file in List View that you want to uncode.
- On the Home tab in the Coding group, click Uncode, then select the node or nodes you want to uncode at.
To remove coding from selected content:
- Select the content you want to uncode.
- On the menu bar, in the Coding group, click Uncode, then select the node or nodes you want to uncode at.
Remove a reference or part of a reference from a node
- Open the node.
- Select the content you want to remove.
- On the Node tab, in the Coding group, click Uncode From This Node.
- To indicate that uncoding is successful, a confirmation message is briefly displayed in the NVivo status bar.
- For other types of nodes, the name of the menu tab is different. For example, if you are currently working in a case, you will access the above commands on the Case tab.
Remove coding at intersecting content
To refine a node you might decide to uncode content that intersects with other nodes—for example, early in a project you might code content at the node Alternative Energy. When exploring the node, you 'code on' to the finer themes of Wind power and Solar power. To refine the Alternative Energy node, you can remove the intersecting coding.
- In List View, select the node you want to refine.
- On the Home tab, in the Coding group, click the arrow under Uncode, then click Uncode Intersecting Content.
- Select the node you want to uncode.
Remove coding using coding stripes
When coding stripes are displayed for a file or a node, you can uncode from the coding stripes.
- Open the required file or node.
- Turn on coding stripes—on the menu bar, in the Viewgroup, click Coding Stripes, and then select a coding stripe option.
- Right-click on the required stripe and click Uncode.