A picture file consists of a picture and a log.
1 Picture— you can import a picture or copy one from the clipboard
2Region— you can create a log entry for a selected region of the picture and this column shows the coordinates of the region
3 Content— log entries can be imported or you can create them in NVivo
Import a picture
- In the Navigation View, click the name of the file folder that you want to import the picture into.
- On the Data tab in the Import group, click Pictures.
- Browse for and then import the picture you want to bring into your project.
You can import image files that are in the following formats:
- Windows bitmap (bmp)
- Graphic Interchange Format (gif)
- Joint Photographics Expert Group (jpg, jpeg)
- Portable Network Graphics (.png)
- Tagged Image File Format (tif, tiff)
- You cannot edit images within NVivo. If you want to modify the image—for example, hide the identify of individuals, or crop an image, you should do this before you import it into NVivo.
Open and navigate picture files
You can double-click a picture file in List View to open it in Detail View.
When you are working with the picture log, you can:
- Use the vertical scroll bar to move up, down in the log
- Find specific words or phrases.
If you use zoom to magnify a picture, you can use the horizontal and vertical scroll bars to move around the picture.
What can I do in a picture file?
When working with a picture file you can
- Create a log to record notes or comments about the picture or regions of the picture.
- Code the picture or regions of the picture directly or code the text in the Content column of the log.
- Show/hide the region coordinates using the shortcut ⌘+OPTION+C
NOTE You can leave the log empty and hide it if required.