Your default NVivo profile is used in any project you work with.
When you first start NVivo, you are prompted to set up your default NVivo user profile—you must enter your initials, and you can optionally change your user name.
- Start NVivo. If this is the first time you started NVivo, you will be prompted to enter and activate your license before you set up your default NVivo user profile.
- On the
NVivo - User Profile dialog:
- Enter the Name that you want to use in your user profile—by default, it is set to your Windows user account name.
- Enter your Initials—your initials will be used to identify any work that you do in a project.
Check the current user profile
- Choose File > Project Properties, and then click Users.
The current user profile is highlighted in the list. You can change the color associated with user profiles.
- Choose NVivo > Preferences.
- On the General pane, enter the Name and Initials for your new user profile.
- If you only change your initials, the new initials will be used in any new projects that you create or work in. Existing project user profiles are not updated. .
- If you change your name to a name that already exists, your work will be associated with the existing user profile.
When you are working in a project, you can switch project user profiles by changing your default NVivo user profile (name and initials) to match the name and initials of a user profile that already exists in the project. This can be useful when team members share a computer, and want to switch users without exiting NVivo.
- Click the File tab, and then click Options.
- Choose NVivo > Preferences.
On the General pane,enter the Name and Initials of the user profile that you want to switch to.
The name you enter must match the name in the existing profile. If you enter a name which does match an existing profile, a new profile is created.
NOTE If you accidentally create a new profile, when you intended to switch to an existing user, you can merge the two profiles together.
When team members login to a computer using a shared user account, then—if you want to be able to track their work individually in a project—it is important that each person uses their own NVivo user profile. If you turn on 'automatic prompt for user', team members are prompted to enter their NVivo user profile whenever they launch NVivo.
Choose NVivo > Preferences, click General and then select or clear the Prompt for user on launch check box.
Identify all the users who have contributed to the project
Choose File > Project Properties, and then click Users.
The Users screen lists your project user profile, and the profiles of all other users who have modified the project.
Remove (and merge) project user profiles
When you remove a user profile, you must nominate a 'replacement user'—all project content associated with the user you are removing, will be associated with the replacement user.
When a single individual has created project content under two different user profiles, you can use the remove function to merge the two user profiles.
CAUTION It is a good idea to make a copy of your project before you merge two user profiles. Save and copy projects
- Choose File > Project Properties.
- Click the Users tab.
- Select the user profile that you want remove, and click Remove.
- Select a 'replacement' user. All project content associated with the user you are removing, is associated with the replacement user.
- Click Replace.
- Click OK.